Hi guys! This is my first post on my cosplay activities. So I wanted to start my cosplay career with a kool looking Pokemon. So I went searching on the Google for a simple looking Absol costume.
I was lucky to find this image from LuniKat’s deviantart page. I have no intention of “stealing” this image, but I thought it looked really good, so I decided to use it to design my cosplay.
My task was to find a jacket to fit the design, so I hit Jo-ann’s to find the pattern. I found a couple patterns that I figured I could work with.
I started sewing in April. My goal was to finish my sewing by Anime Expo. Knowing how lazy I am, I only worked on the weekends. I finished the jacket probably two weeks before Anime Expo weekend (July 1-4). Lucky too, because I had to get my tail and headpiece made.
The jacket took the longest to make because, like I said, I am really lazy. I had to change the pattern I was using to make the sleeves poof. I ended up having 2 prototypes because the first one did have as much poof as I was looking for. I lined the jacket with a muslin copy of the outer jacket piece to keep the sleeves in place.
I used the same pattern to make the vest. Though in the picture it’s actually a shirt, but I made a vest out of it. I added a zipper to the front and inputted the grommets about an inch apart from each other along the inside of the vest. I was so scared when putting the grommets in because I had to make small holes in the fabric. I couldn’t make the holes too big else the grommets wouldn’t pinch the fabric and stay. I actually did make a few holes too big, so I sewed them up and made them smaller to fit the grommets nice and snuggly.
The headpiece was probably the most difficult part of this cosplay. I ended up using a cardboard-like plastic. Used a razor blade to cut it into the right shape. To get the headpiece to stand up and attach to the headband, I used a thin plastic that bends when heated so I could shape it into an L shape and curve with the headband. I made two of these so I could attach one to the front and one to the back of the cardboard plastic piece. Using a hot glue gun, I attached the plastic pieces together and covered them with cloth. I made the tail using the same cardboard-like plastic and used hot glue gun to cover it with cloth. With the cloth around the tail, I was able to sew it directly onto the shorts (bought on Amazon, same with the belt).
I got a white wig and white converse-like sneakers. I saw some completely white sneakers, but I figured the white shoes with a black accent looks much better with the cosplay.
To finish it off, I cut the collar out of a long white fur cloth. I had to cut two half pieces to keep the fur flowing in the same direction and sew the pieces together.
I hope you guys like the look!