I just came back from Taiwan and while in Taiwan I saw a dress that gave me an idea for this cosplay. I started on Oct 19th with choosing the patterns and materials.
I used the top of the M7123 pattern and the skirt of the M7281 pattern.
So, I started on my first prototype and cut the pattern to my usual size and sewed it together. Like I said, I had just come back from Taiwan, aka the country of delicious foods. My first prototype was too small. Sad days…
I ended up having to re-buy the patterns and re-cutting the pattern to my latest measurements. So I got the right size of the dress and then I took the skirt prototype and drew the pattern for the leaves.
For the leaves, I sewed the leaves to use two layers of cloth because one layer just didn’t give the right color I was looking for.
I drew the patterns for the flower hair accessories. I used two pieces of cloth and cut a hole in the middle of one of them to flip flower inside out to hide the seam. The yellow centers, I sewed the seam inward and scrunched it into a little pouch-like shape. I sewed the inside of the pouch along the inside in a circle to flatten it out. I sewed two hair clips to the bottom of the flowers and they were complete.
The biggest problem I had was closing the back of the dress. because I sewed the four yellow leaves in the pattern of one front, one back, and two on the sides. Because I had given the leaves some overlap, I ended up sewing the back leaf to only one side of the dress by folding it over itself first with a large fold and then making each next fold smaller. I sewed the green leaves in the four corners of the dress. I sewed the overlap of the green piece on the same side that I had sewn the overlap of the yellow piece to. I then did not sew the overlap on the green leaf so it would overlap to the other side of the dress when closed. I sewed zipper on to finish the dress part.
The next piece was to keep the overlap of the last green leaf closed. Because I had pulled an all-nighter to finish the dress part, I had run out of time to sew a hook to connect the leaf to the other side. I ended up using a safety pin to keep it closed on Halloween.
Here is the final result on Halloween night.